Aquila

The Student News Site of Carl Sandburg High School

Aquila

Aquila

Spring Art Show Celebrates Student Talent and Passion

Every year, Sandburg art students get an opportunity to showcase the creations they made throughout the school year during the Spring Art Show. This year, it was held Wednesday April 24 from 6:00 to 8:00pm. Friends and family members were able to come to view the students’ hard work and show support for their creative endeavors. The next day, it was open during school hours for all students to enjoy.

Flyer advertising the 2024 Art Show – Photo courtesy of Sophia Dorantes

Pieces showcased in the art show come from the many art classes Sandburg has to offer. Mr. McCabe, an art teacher who organizes the show, comments, “The art show is showing off what [students] have learned throughout the semester.” McCabe adds that his favorite part is “the celebration of a year’s worth of art students creating work and showing off what they’ve done and their ability to become makers.”

Julia Lesniak, a  student whose art was featured in the show, says, “A lot of people have a lot of creativity, and it’s just nice to see some new ideas.”

Student art fills the Spring Art Show gallery – Photo courtesy of @sandburgeagles on Instagram

The projects are set up as a gallery for audience members to peruse and admire. They are then judged by a panel of six judges, after which the winners receive awards. Mr. McCabe explains that “The judges are alumni that are graduated from Sandburg and that are in the field of the arts, or people from our community and otherwise friends that are artists, and the art teachers.”

First, Second, and Third place winners, as well as Honorable Mentions, were awarded across the categories of AP Studio: Sustained Investigations, AP Studio: Range of Approaches, Art & Design, Ceramics, Ceramics: Advanced, Digital Media, Drawing: Advanced, Drawing: Other, Drawing: Portrait, Jewelry, Painting, Photography: Black & White, Photography: Advanced Black & White, Photography: Color, and Sculpture.

Best of Show winners include Sandburg students Kennedy Boshardt (Jewelry), Angelina Pacella (Ceramics), Grace Bryant (Drawing), Bryanna Tuscher (AP Studio: Sustained Integration), Tung Ngo (Color Photo), and Ashley Lawler (Drawing: Advanced).

Sandburg’s Spring Art Show has been a long-standing tradition. Commenting on the school’s art program, Lesniak adds “I think it’s underrated, honestly. We’re really lucky to have such studios in this high school. I don’t think a lot of people take advantage of it though.”

Students who wish to participate next year should consider adding an art class to their schedule, so that they too can build their talents and celebrate them in the Sandburg Art community.